Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Classrooms, Speeches, and Frog Legs...

Tuesday 12/7 at Indy:  We started to finalize our workshops.  I must admit that I am nervous for the next few days but I am very excited to me in the classrooms again.  Knowing that the workshop that I have developed with a lot of help from Ms. Durham, Ms. Jill, Ms. Whitney, Alex Henry, and my teammate will be the workshop that is done at conventions brings adrenaline to me.  We were also able to visit with many individuals serving on the foundation.  It was a fun evening where I learned more about how the foundation operates and the personal qualities of each individual that we met.
Wednesday 12/8 at Indy:  Last day to finish preparations.  Quick stop to pick up supplies, finish making our posters, and presenting different parts of our workshop to make sure that our directions, connection, and applications are where we need them and the day is all wrapped up.  Of course I cannot forget the Chili contest in the National FFA Center.  Let me tell you…team/staff members in the National FFA Center sure know how to make some Chili!!!!!
Thursday 12/9 at Lebanon High School in Indiana:  We went into classrooms to give our workshop for the first time from start to finish with FFA members.  It was great getting to spend time learning from them by sharing stories and ideas.  Shannon, Landan, and I went to the Lebanon High School in Indiana.  All of the members and Ag students that we saw were great.  My workshop went well but it also showed me what I need to improve on as a presenter and facilitator.  Mr. Ernest is one of the Advisors there and he has a great way of relating to students and encouraging everyone.  He and everyone else made me feel welcomed.  Later that night, we had dinner with Dr. Armstrong and his wife to get to know them better.  They are both individuals that have a heart for service and agriculture/education/FFA…great people!
Friday 12/10 at Shenandoah High School in Indiana:  ANOTHER VISIT!!!!  This time, the same three of us went to Shenandoah High School.  We visited his a bit larger classes and we did it in the cafeteria area.  This was one fun party that is for sure.  We had more room to use which allowed us to have more space for activities.  Again, this group was fired up to get involved and make a difference.  After our visits, we made our way to the airport and arrived in Arkansas (first time for me) in the late evening.  On the way, I sat by a wonderful lady that has served in the Army and is now with the Veterans Hospital.  She has totally given her life for serve to our county, service to soldiers, and service to everyone that she meets…THANK YOU!!!!!!
Saturday 12/11 at Arkansas:  The first full day in Arkansas started with us being able to sleep in and have all day to rest and get caught up on things or work on whatever we needed too.  I must say that it was nice to be able to have a little room to get some things done (including sleepJ)
Sunday 12/12 at Arkansas:  Two words…FROG LEGS!!!!!!!  Yes, that is right.  We had a dinner at the Catfish Hole and had very traditional Arkansas style food.  Ms. Durham is our coach and she is originally from the area.  She wanted to give us the full experience of Arkansas and I decided to go all in and enjoy frog legs.  The verdict…I don’t think that I will order them again but I must admit they did not taste bad at all (I still like my steak though).
Monday 12/13 at Tyson headquarters in Arkansas:  We arrived at the Tyson headquarters which is where we are having our training for speech development, business and industry training, and etiquette practice.  Tyson’s headquarters definitely has a family feel to it and everyone has been so nice to us.  After a full day of learning and practicing business visits, I was able to try Buffalo wings for the first time as well (we do have them in South Dakota but I just haven’t had them yet).  Two thumbs up here!!
Tuesday 12/14 at Tyson headquarters in Arkansas:  Today we really focused on speech development and delivery.  We were privileged to have Josh Sundquist be our trainer for today and he will be working with us a couple hours tomorrow as well.  He is such a talented speaker and person.  I feel much more equipped already to deliver a stronger, more powerful message.  We are now practicing part of our speeches tomorrow.  It will be a great learning experience and I am very excited to try on new techniques that Josh has shared.  Check him out on youtube!  He spoke at the 2009 National FFA Convention.

No comments:

Post a Comment